Friday, November 20, 2009

Civic Satori

I spend a lot of time driving these days–back and forth between Greensboro and Chapel Hill with Winston-Salem occasionally thrown into the mix. Everything seems really simple in my car. I'm usually either thinking about my intentions (that is, the guiding principles of my life in general) or trying to just be (a kind of meditation on driving). I like the car, probably because there's no reason to second guess myself. There's never a question as to whether I should be doing something more important or productive. I'm not attached to anything. The only thing I can do is drive.

Sometimes I think about what it would be like to drive forever. Not like a truck driver who needs to get to a certain place by a certain time, but not aimlessly either. More like if the well-known highway between points A and B just stretched out, and my exit never came. I wonder if that's what life without desire feels like. If I took a long enough road trip, do you think I could find enlightenment?

2 comments:

  1. the other day i saw a little sign stuck to the side of a car for a courier service. i considered what an easy business that would be to set up! all you need is a car and a few well placed ads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your love of worry-free driving. I also love to drive for its I-dont-need-to-be-doing-anything-else characteristics.

    ReplyDelete